Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Flagpoles

I am reading a great book by Susan Wiggs. It is about a family owned camp. It opens with a flagpole scene and immediately, images filled my mind with the flagpole at Camp Wampatuck. The stone and cement structure was the central point of camp. Everyday began and ended at the flagpole. Roll call, pledge, announcements etc. It was also a place to gather and chat. A place to wait for your parents to show up for visitors day, or perhaps a place to wait and hope for a visit from your parents. Occasionally, a very loud cabin might be brought there at night for calisthenics. What memories! I wish I could go back and relive some of those times. The wonderful counselors, Two who stand out are Dottie Girling and Peggy Stackpole. They made such an impression on a 9 year olds mind. Here's to flsgpoles and the start of each new day!

1 Comments:

At February 28, 2009 at 12:45 AM , Blogger Cindy said...

I loved that flagpole, and always looked forward participating in the flag ceremony. I have to admit, though, that seeing occasional unmentionables at the top of the pole early in the morning struck my funny bone. Never hoisted anything other than a flag up there myself, but enjoyed the sight when it happened ;-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home