Wednesday, March 12, 2008

I am finally back online. The counselors at Camp Wampatuck had such a powerful influence on me.  I could name many.  My first one was elaine.  She was the director's daughter and was there in 1956 and 1957, my first years.  She was so nice and probably the only one I remember from that time.  I do remember Anna Marie also.  She taught camp craft and I think became a nun.  Elaine ran the waterfront.  That pond was so gross!   Peggy was probably my favorite.  I wish I knew what has become of the camp.  I remember autographing the cabins.  I believe I made to every cabin at one time or another.  My two weeks at camp each summer was my personal summer vacation. 

1 Comments:

At February 28, 2009 at 1:53 AM , Blogger Cindy said...

I have a special place in my heart for Mary "Mo" Hill. I knew her twice, many years apart. She was a counselor my first two years at camp, and as a 10 year old I was somewhat intimidated by her. As Waterfront Director she taught me how to swim, which was great. But she also made me swim in the yukky water when there was a snake not too far from the dock. I hate snakes, and I cried when she made me dive in anyway. Another year she was in charge of the boat docks when I learned to canoe. She was stern when we splashed each other with oars and paddles, and rocked the rowboats. Then my third year at camp she was gone. She was gone for years. She came back as head counselor about a decade later when I was a counselor myself and then we became friends. She was from Chicopee, I think, and when I was at UMass, she picked me up early one Saturday morning and we both drove together to attend the wedding of Valerie, the drama/music counselor. Valerie organized camp musicals for a couple years. They were great fun.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home